OAK Central is a full-text XML service based on Journal Article Tag Suite (JATS) for OA scholarly papers.
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) adopted JATS as their standard format with which to archive and distribute academic theses. In 2012, JATS was accepted as an international format by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and then subsequently assigned a National Information Standards Organization (NISO) reference number — NISO Z239-96-2012.
- We provide XML-based documents as opposed to PDF-based documents, thus offering a far superior service, whereby you can easily find what you’re looking for; for example, articles, texts, figures, tables, references, and so on.
- XML-based information is easily archived, and as such, it aids in the dispersal of academic information.
- We can archive knowledge information from societies and institutions, and then share this nationwide.
- To share academic information, we can build a worldwide distribution channel.
- Owing to an increase in number of the citation and distribution of OA journals, there will be considerable potential to register indexes internationally.